Friday, December 20, 2013

'I am too much me'

The Song of Elaine

Other women hate me.
Men never touch me.
I am too much me.
I'll be a witch!

Mama never towelled me,
Daddy never growled me.
Little kiddies grate me.
I'll be a bitch!

People never named me.
Dogs never shamed me.
Oh, I am a such me!
I'll be a witch.

I'll make them shun me.
They'll never run me.
Could they even stun me?
I'll be a witch.

Let them all attack me.
They can only rack me.
Me—I can hack me.
I'll be a witch.

Other women hate me.
Men never touch me.
I am too much me.
I'll be a witch.

[...]

Madness is always better than X, and X to each patient is individual, personal, secret and overwhelmingly important... Madness was much kinder than the realization that she was not herself, should not have lived, and amounted at the most to a mistake committed between a trembling ruby and a young, careless man with a guitar.

-excerpts from The Dead Lady of Clown Town by Cordwainer Smith

1 comment:

  1. Did "The Dead Lady of Clown Town" Completely stun you? I imagine you would resonate deeply with the Joan of Arc story combined with the fight for the rights of the underpeople--a fight using love and martyrdom--a strictly New Testament approach to humanity and community. Can you see why I view a love of Lafferty as completely compatible with a love of Cordwainer Smith?

    ReplyDelete